Friday, May 7, 2010

Bring Me To The Deep South...



I thought I'd change it up a bit today.  I really want to promote music artists I like, and for the purposes of this blog, ones specifically form the South.  So, today, I'm gonna talk about Cartel.  The song above is "Deep South", which I felt was fitting. from their most recent album, "Cycles."

Cartel is a 5 member band from just outside Atlanta, GA.  Their first album, "Chroma", was released in 2005.  Let me just say that from the day I picked it up, it didn't leave my CD player for a good 2 months. 

Much to my dismay, Cartel's next album wasn't released for another 2 years.  In 2007, "Cartel" was released.  Definitely a progression from the 1st album, but it kept that sound that is Cartel.  Again, this album didn't leave my stereo for quite a while. Track 13 is probably my favorite.  If you just let it play, after a long pause, there's a hidden song that has to be one of my favorites from the band.  A very simple song, it really hits home with me. 

Their next album, "Cycles" was released in 2009.  Another great release.  Like I said, the featured song up top is form this album.  As is usual for me, I listened to this album for a while when I first got it.  And I've broken it back out for the summer.  It really gets me pumping.  

I think a big reason I love this band is that I can connect to their music.  There's something that feels like home about Cartel.  There's a Southern flavor to it, mixed in with a good dose of pop on a base of rock.  This is a band that I've taken pride in turning several people on to.  Hopefully, this anyone reading this will at least give em a try.  I'm pretty sure you won't be sorry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment