Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peaches-n-Cream

I have been incredibly absent lately, but I figured what better way to come back than with a city adventure.  I recently traveled to Atlanta, GA, my likely future home. 

Atlanta is the largest city in the Southeastern United States (excluding Miami, but like I said before, I don't consider FL a Southern state), a title once held by New Orleans, LA, and the gay capital of the South.  Atlanta has to be one of the most welcoming and diverse cities in America.  And it has everything you'd want in a large metropolis: great public transport, a diverse population, great restaurants, wonderful nightlife, and, best of all, Southern culture. 

While there, I experienced a couple different restaurants.  The first was The Flying Biscuit at 1001 Piedmont Ave.  Technically a chain, but it has all the charm Midtown Atlanta has to offer.  And great food.  I definitely recommend the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus appetizer and the Georgia Peaches-n-Cream for dessert.  And what better to eat Georgia?

The other restaurant we tried was Canton Cooks at 5984 Roswell Road Northeast.  We were actually looking for another Chinese restaurant that the Urban Spoon app on my phone gave us, but we couldn't find it.  We stumbled upon Canton Cooks and were pleasantly surprised by the hours.  While they're closed on Wednesdays, they're open until 2 am every other night of the week.  And the food is amazing.  They have a lot of the usual things you would expect at a Chinese restaurant, but in a less Americanized fashion.  And there are tons of authentic choices.  I would most definitely recommend it. And you can't beat the prices.  Very reasonable.  Not to mention, it's fun to relive the 1980's in the decor.  

Expect many more updates on Atlanta dining and attractions as it's one of my favorite cities and not but a couple hours from my current location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment