Monday, May 10, 2010

Like I Was Sayin'...

Yesterday, I talked about the older woman in the mall with dagger eyes for me.  Tonight, I encountered her polar opposite.  As I was getting ready to leave work, we had a client (~65ish) at the window waiting to check out.  I told her that Jackie was putting in charges and getting her meds together...well, her poodle's meds together.  Then she stopped me. 

"I have to ask.  I've seen a lot of young guys with their ears like yours and I've been curious.  Are those just post earrings like mine...or...?"

"No, they actually go all the way through.  It's a slow process of stretching the piercing to accommodate larger jewelry."

She didn't quite seem to understand, so I told her I could take it out if she wanted me to.  She said that was fine, so I did.  I'm always a little hesitant because I know it does bother some people to see a stretched piercing sans jewelry.  But a look of understanding came across her face and, even though I was off the clock, I stood and had a 10 minute conversation with her about the process.  She was genuinely interested, didn't judge, and offered her own thoughts.  It was amazing.  She was so kind.  I wish everyone could meet her.  She was a true Southern Lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment